Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
Okay Keto People you are in for a treat! You can make this super easy Keto Egg McMuffin sandwich in about five minutes.
That means that you can make this on weekdays and even if you don't have time to scarf it down before you run out the door, you can wrap it up and eat it when you get to work.
This muffin is not "eggy" at all and can be made to eat with just butter or whatever you like on English muffins.
Disclaimer: I hate McDonalds for lots of reasons. But I used to really like their breakfast sandwiches because, lets face it they are freaking delicious. And, this sandwich reminds me of them so....we'll just think of this as the "clean version" of what those McMuffins actually are.
I don't have any sausage patties around but if you have some then add one in and you'll stay full all day.
The tween loved this so I am counting it as kid friendly ( she isn't thrilled about anything I cook at the moment because she is recovering from sort of flu type cooties). But she liked this so I am guessing it passes the picky eater test...
Before you go any further...
This Low Carb, Keto Bread recipe is made entirely in the microwave and will not work in the oven.
The muffin will dry out and become a nice hard hockey puck.
If you are looking for a bun you can make in the oven see these burger buns instead.
They make egg-cellent sandwiches too. ( I crack myself up lol).
I'll be working on a low carb English Muffin style bread for those who don't have or don't like microwaves. But this recipe will absolutely not work in the oven as is.
Ready? Gather all of your things.....
What you need: Amounts are on the recipe card.
- 2 seven oz ramekins or 8 oz mugs.
They need to be the same size so the muffin and egg match up ( maybe this is a personal preference).
- small mixing bowl ( I used a cereal bowl)
- olive oil ( or whatever you like)
- 2 large eggs
- baking powder
- almond flour
- optional toppings: mayonnaise, cheese, avocado, seeds, sausage, whatever floats your boat.
- Oil both ramekins or mugs before you start.
- Put the almond flour and butter together in your mixing bowl.
We keep our almond flour in the freezer ( or fridge) to keep it fresh. Nut flours go rancid quickly. So if you add them together like this and microwave for 30 seconds than you will be able to mix them together smoothly.
- Add the egg white and baking powder next. Mix until smooth.
- Pour into the ramekin and reserve the egg yolk in the second oiled ramekin like this...
- Microwave the English muffin batter for 90 seconds.
Check to make sure it is slightly pulled away from the ramekin like this:
If it isn't pulling away from the side like this, then put it back in the microwave for 10 seconds or so. BUT DON'T BURN IT!
Here comes my standard warning: Nut flours do not have to look burnt to taste burnt. This muffin will be almost white when it is done cooking in the microwave. Toast it if you like but don't cook in the microwave to a "golden" color.
"Golden" means burnt in the case of microwave English muffins. Because this muffin doesn't contain the yolk it wont have the "golden color" or the "eggy" flavor that is the source of so many complaints about "Keto Bread".
I like eggy bread but I get it...not everyone does. Plus the Keto Diet contains a lot of egg based recipes, it can get old. So if this sounds like you than skip the next bit, add a sausage patty and call it good.
If you want the "Egg McMuffin" continue with the tips because this next bit is SUPER IMPORTANT!
- Use caution when microwaving eggs! Trust me on this.
You can cook your eggs in a skillet over medium heat if you like but there are some special instructions if you are going to cook them in the microwave...( which will ensure the egg matches your muffin in size and saves some time and cleanup).
- You have to cover the ramekin with a small saucer and cook in 20 second intervals ( 1 minute is usually perfect for me. But your desired amount of "doneness" will vary.)
- I like the yolks whole but if you scramble them with a fork there will be less "popping" while the cook in the microwave.
The reason that you need to cover these is because eggs can explode in the microwave. Specifically, the yolks explode if cooked too quickly.
Once you have cooked your eggs for one minute ( in the 20 second intervals). Let it sit for 30 seconds before removing the saucer.
The eggs are still cooking at this point and you want to wait. It's no fun picking egg out of your hair before work if it's still too hot and "pops" unexpectedly....plus, I really like my readers and I don't want you to get burned.
- Use the cooling time to slice your muffin and add mayo or whatever you like.
- Put it all together and enjoy!
Keto Egg "McMuffin" Style Sandwich
- 1 egg yolk from above recipe
- 1 egg large
- Oil 2 seven oz ramekins or mugs with your choice of oils. I like olive.
- Add almond flour and butter to a small mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds until butter is melted.
- Add egg white and baking powder to the mixing bowl and combine thoroughly. Reserve the yolk in the second ramekin.
- Pour batter into an oiled 7 oz ramekin or mug.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. The finished muffin should pull away from the side of the ramekin slightly.
- Let cool for 30 seconds and dump the muffin out. Slice in half.
- Add a large egg to the egg yolk that you reserved when making the English muffin.
- Cover with a small saucer and microwave 20 seconds at a time until done to your liking. Usually about 60 seconds total for me.
CAUTION: See recipe notes about microwaving eggs.
Put it Together
- Remove the egg and place it on the English muffin. Add any toppings or cheese at this time. ( I like pepper, mayo and cheddar)
- Cover eggs with a saucer when you are microwaving them so that they don't explode and make a mess.
- Let cool for 30 seconds before removing the cover. (My yolks have exploded on me before, it sucks).
- Microwaving in 20 second increments keeps this issue to a minimum.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
Remember that the total net carbs are calculated by subtracting the fiber from the total carbohydrates.
This recipe has 4 net carbs and 500 calories as written. Any additions will add to the values.
The nutritional info included in the post is provided as a courtesy. I am very careful with my nutritional information. But if anything ever seems "off" to you on this or any website, you should feel free to do your own calculations.
I hope you love this sandwich as much as we do!
As always, I would love it if you would leave a comment if you have any favorite variations, improvements or observations!
Keto on Friends!