Tacos are by far my favorite food and going Keto hasn’t changed that. When I discovered that you could make Keto friendly taco shells with cheddar cheese I had to try it right away. In fact this was the first Keto recipe that I made.
I was amazed that this worked and even more astounded that this delicious little treat could help me with my weight loss goals.
If you are a breakfast eater on the Keto Diet, finding low carb breakfast foods that are both quick and satisfying can be a challenge.
If you are short on time you might like this Keto Breakfast Cereal, but if you want something a little more savory then these Keto Tacos are the ticket.
This one isn’t super fast but there are a couple of ways to prepare for a weekday morning if you do want something fast.
Cheese Shell Tips:
These cheese shells don’t keep well…don’t make them ahead of time. They are best when they are hot off of the skillet.
But you can make seasoned scrambled eggs and sausage patties ahead of time. They will keep and reheat well for a few days in the fridge. This saves cooking time and cleanup on a busy weekday.
Fry on high heat for the crispiest shells…I find a cast iron pan is the way to go.
If breakfast burritos are more your speed than make the shell bigger but remember to keep track of how much cheese you used for counting calories and macros.
If you substitute cheddar for another cheese just make sure there is enough oil in it to keep it from sticking to the pan.
Not all hot sauces are Keto approved. Make sure you check the label for added sugar.
Let’s get to it…
Keto Cheese Shell Egg Tacos
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbls coconut oil
- 2 tbls sriracha salsa
- Preheat a frying pan on medium high heat. I use a well seasoned iron frying pan, but any quality pan should work.
- Divide the shredded cheese into 2 equal parts.
- When the pan is hot place the cheese in the pan in 2 circles about the size of a taco shell. The cheese will spread a little, but not as much as you would think. You may want to grease the pan before placing the cheese but there should be enough oil in the cheese that it will not stick.
- When the cheese is melted, flip it and allow to get slightly crispy so that it remains flexible.
- When the cheese shells are done on both sides, remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add the coconut oil to the pan and cook the eggs. I like over easy, but this is you breakfast.
- When the eggs are done as you like them, put the eggs on the cheese shells and top with the salsa.
These Keto Taco Shells aren’t just for breakfast…
They can be used for any kind of tacos. We make a lot of tacos and these are excellent with beef chicken and pork carnitas. Although, by dinner time I am usually ready for more greens so I use a lettuce leaf to hold my taco together.
I would love to hear from you if you get the chance to leave me a comment.