Classic Keto Goulash
(Gluten Free & Low Carb)
This recipe has the taste of the hot goulash your mom made without all of the carbs.
I love it. And, while I won't try to tell you that the cauliflower will taste just like the elbow macaroni you loved as a kid, it also won't kick you out of Ketosis.
This is a legit recipe full of healthy fat, fiber and flavor to keep you going strong in those cold winter nights ahead.
I know that it sounds weird to say "Classic" and "Keto" in the same title but that's what this is. It has the flavor of the old recipe and the nutrition of the new Keto, Low carb style of cooking.
Classic Keto Goulash Cooking Tips:
- Use tomato bullion instead of tomato paste for the deep, rich tomato flavor.
It has less carbs and you won't reduce the heart of the dish...which is of course the tomato base.
- Add red pepper flakes if you like your goulash spicy.
- Use green bell pepper to get the classic flavor and keep carbs a little lower.
- If you are using green onions instead of yellow add them to the dish once you have turned off the heat.
If you simmer the green onions into the rest of this dish they will be limp. This might be a personal preference but I don't like my green onions to be overcooked. They taste kind of weird, turn a bit slimy and lose a lot of flavor.
- Top with cheese & parsley if desired.
I don't usually top mine with cheese because it takes away from the flavor that reminds me of the Auntie who made this dish for me as a child.
But I do add parsley to make it look beautiful and give it a fresh aftertaste.
This dish is filling and satisfying on it's own. It also has a ton of fiber and is pretty nutritionally sound.
But in case you are looking for an easy Keto dessert to go with it...we have you covered.
I like chocolate with every fiber of my being...but I think it goes especially well with the "Italian" essence of this dish.
And Chocolate covered Strawberries are always a hit. They are so much easier than I thought they would be.
If you decide to skip the dessert and just want something warm to drink this is an excellent choice for a chilly evening...
I think that's it for this Classic Keto Goulash recipe...
It's pretty simple and doesn't need too much explanation. But remember, this recipe is only a guide.
Do Keto on your terms. Add more spices if you like (I usually double the spices and add red pepper flakes).
Classic Goulash Keto Style
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Chopped Green Onion The classic recipe calls for yellow onion but it adds a lot more carbs. You can use either but see the recipe tips in the post if you are using green onion.
- ½ Cup Green Bell Pepper Chopped. Frozen is easiest.
- 15 oz Canned Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Bullion Found in the Mexican Aisle. See post for what I used and tips.
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 pound Frozen Cauliflower Thawed, drained and chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste *optional
- Brown the ground beef.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Or until veggies are cooked to your liking.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
We try to be accurate with our nutritional information but if anything ever looks off please feel free to make your own calculations.
Cheers and Keto On!
If you need some help with weight loss strategies check out the ever popular Intermittent Fasting post.
This is an actionable plan that both Thom and I have done ourselves. You won't starve and while it isn't the proverbial piece of cake...it is super effective.