Oooh, I'm excited to share this tasty and deliciously mouth-watering, tender, whole Mexican Roasted Chicken Recipe.
It's loaded with zingy flavor and is nothing less than a perfect keto-friendly dinner choice.
Have you ever tried Spicy Mexican Roasted Chicken? Sometimes it's called Roadside Chicken or Pollo Asado. But, no matter what you call it, it's a must try.
This recipe makes it easy to transform boring Sunday Chicken Dinners into joyful Funday meals.
Preparation Method for the Spicy Roasted Chicken:
This Mexican Roasted Chicken is normally prepared on a spit in the markets of Mexico. But, you don't need to jump on a plane or head over to Cozumel to get the flavor you're looking for at home.
Roasting in the oven seals in all of the natural flavors and juices so they can develop slowly.
- 1 whole chicken ( about five pounds is perfect)
- One Medium onion
- 1 Ancho chile
- A Single serrano chile
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons oil divided
- 1 garlic bulb
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- lime wedges
👨🍳How to prepare Mexican Roasted Chicken:
1.) First, de-stem and de-seed the chilies if you want mild heat. If you like a lot of heat, leave the seeds intact. Flash cook them in a hot, dry skillet so that they are just slightly charred.
2.) Blend the chilies, ½ of the oil, cumin, and onion powder on high until smooth.
3.) Next, slice the onion in rings and line the bottom of a large cast-iron skillet with them. The pan needs to be large enough to cook your chicken. I used a 12-inch skillet for a 5.5-pound bird. But your roasting pan works well if your skillet isn't large enough.
4.) Confirm there are no giblets inside the cavity of the chicken so that you don't end up cooking them in the plastic or paper package.
Pat, it dry with paper towels and place it on top of the onions so the flavors can develop together.
5.) Don't skip patting your chicken dry because this will give you the crispiest skin.
6.) Thoroughly rub the chili paste into the chicken, getting under the skin when possible. Don’t forget to wear latex gloves if your skin is sensitive.
7.) Slice an entire garlic bulb across the middle and place it inside the cavity of the chicken so that the wonderful flavor seeps into the meat while it's cooking.
8.) Roast at 350F or 177C for about 90 minutes until inner thigh temp reads 160F or 71C and the juices of the inner thigh run clear when pierced.
If your chicken is larger or smaller than 5 pounds, start with about 20 minutes per pound to determine the cooking time.
Make sure you chicken reaches the right temp with a meat thermometer.
9.) When done, let rest on the counter for at least minutes before slicing and serving.
10.) Garnish the roasted chicken with a lime wedge before serving; this may just turn out to be one of your favorite Sunday staples.
Now you can prepare your favorite keto-friendly, mouth-watering Mexican Roasted chicken in your own kitchen in just about one and a half hours.
What goes best with the Spicy Roast Chicken?
If you are looking for sides for this classy Roasted chicken dish, here are a few ideas...
- Low Carb Tortillas and Pico de Gallo
- Riced Spanish Cauliflower
- Side Salad
- Bacon Guacamole
- Low Carb Frijoles Refritos
- And maybe some creamy, dreamy Flan for dessert
📋Tips & FAQ's:
Can I make the Mexican Roasted Chicken recipe ahead of time?
Yes! The roasted chicken will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
What Can I do with the leftover Mexican Style Roasted Chicken?
If you are going to have leftovers for longer than a few days, you can freeze the chicken in an airtight container for a couple of months.
But, if you just need a way to change it up you can always use the leftover chicken for one of these recipes...
That's all for the Mexican Style Roasted Chicken!
The combination of Mexican spice, the tantalizing aroma and eye catching garnish of lime always bring me comfort, even though I can't visit Mexico at the moment.
This is an ultra tasty meal with the perfect amount of heat and tanginess that whole fam will enjoy.
Try this recipe in your own kitchen and share the love with your family.
As always, leave any questions or comments below and I'll be happy to help.
More Low Carb Recipes to love:
Mexican Roasted Chicken
- lime wedges
- De-stem and de-seed the chiles if you want a mild heat. If you like a lot of heat leave the seeds in tact. Flash cook them in a hot dry skillet so that they are just slightly charred.
- Blend the chiles, ½ of the oil, cumin and onion powder on high until smooth.
- Slice the onion in rings and line the bottom of a large cast iron skillet with them. It needs to be large enough to cook your chicken. I used a 12 inch skillet for a 5.5 pound bird. But you can use a roasting pan if your skillet isnt large enough.
- Slice an entire garlic bulb across the middle and place inside the cavity of the chicken. Confirm that there are no giblets in the chicken.
- Pat it dry with paper towels and place it on top of the onions. Drizzle with ½ of the oil and salt and pepper generously. Thoroughly rub the chili paste into the chicken, getting under the skin when possible. Wear latex gloves if your skin is sensitive. Tie the legs together with butchers twine to keep them from splaying out.
- Roast at 350F or 177C for about 90 minutes until inner thigh temp reads 160F or 71C and the juices of the inner thigh run clear when pierced. If your chicken is larger or smaller than 5 pounds, start with about 20 minutes per pound to determine the cooking time.
- When done, let rest on counter for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
The nutritional information for the Mexican Roasted Chicken Recipe is provided as a courtesy so you can plan out your macros for the day in a flash.
We are pretty careful about our figures but if you ever feel like anything is off please feel free to do your own calculations.