I had so much trouble deciding what in tarnation to call these Low Carb Parmesan Crispy Squash Cups!
So I came up with this awkward name and and decided to go ahead and share this lovely recipe today anyway.
I really wanted a beautiful and delicious way to serve spaghetti squash for the Holidays and I found it!
They look gorgeous on the table and are so easy to make!
- 4 cups spaghetti squash cooked, shredded and cooled so it is as dry as possible.
I made the squash the day before while I was doing a "meal prep" day. You don't have to do it this way.
But it was easy because I had just tossed the squash in the oven while I was making dinner the night before.
Remember, the drier and cooler the squash, the crispier the squash cups will be.
- ⅔ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
I could not taste any coconut flour in the finished dish. But, if you want to exchange this ingredient with something else, it's needs to be something that will absorb liquid.
- 2 tablespoon butter
Coconut or avocado oil can be used if you prefer.
- ¾ teaspoon salt - to taste
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper - to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon chives - garnish
- Chopped Parsley - garnish
👨🍳How to make the Crispy Squash Cups:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a 12 - well Regular Muffin Pan.
Drain as much water as you can from squash in a colander and make sure your squash is COLD so it will get crispy on the edges.
This is perfect for left over squash. I made the squash a day ahead of time while I was cooking dinner.
2. Add all ingredients to a bowl and combine.
3. Fill each well of the muffin tin with the squash mixture evenly and bake for about 40 minutes until crispy and slightly browned.
Turn heat down if they start to blacken. A few black strands is fine (and looks beautiful) But fully blackened squash isn't good.
I tried to make these in the air fryer and burned them...so yeah, I have tried blackened spaghetti squash. I don't recommend it one bit.
4. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes in muffin pan before gently rimming each well with a knife if necessary, dislodging, and serving with low carb sauce of your choice.
We ate ours with low carb ketchup because it seemed like a quick (and easy) idea.
Tips & FAQ's:
Can I freeze the low carb crispy squash cups?
No. This isn't a good side dish for freezing.
Can I make this dish ahead of the holidays?
You can make it a day ahead of time and NOT bake it. Wait until the day you would like to serve them to bake.
How long will these last in the fridge?
You can keep these covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. They are perfectly portioned and make a great meal prep day food.
What are the Crispy Squash Cups good with?
That's all for the Low Carb Parmesan Crispy Squash Cups / Whatever thing!
I know, I know...that's not very professional.
It's times like these that being my own boss has it's perks.
I hope that you try them! They're so delicate and delicious!
If you have any questions, comments or name suggestions besides "birds nests" feel free to leave it in the comments below.
See ya later Keto-gaters ~
Baked Low Carb Crispy Squash Cups
- 2 tablespoon chives garnish
- chopped Parsley garnish (only choose one garnish - or not. It's your side dish).
- Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a 12 - well Regular Muffin Pan very well. Drain as much water as you can from squash in a colander and make sure your squash is COLD so it will get crispy on the edges. This is perfect for left over squash.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and combine. Make sure that the squash has had time to cool uncovered because the drier the squash, the crispier the cups.
- Fill each well of the muffin tin with the squash mixture evenly and bake for about 40 minutes until crispy and slightly browned. Turn heat down if they start to blacken. Black squash isn't good.
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes in muffin pan before gently rimming each well with a knife if necessary, dislodging, and serving with low carb sauce of your choice. See post for suggestions.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
The nutritional information for the Low Carb Crispy Squash Cups is provided as a courtesy.
We are pretty careful about our figures but if you ever feel like anything is off please feel free to do your own calculations.