This Low Carb French Onion Dip recipe is perfect for parties, game time snacking and more.
You can make this Keto Friendly Dip in about five minutes of active time. It’s great on charcuterie boards with crisp veggies and on wraps and sandwiches.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise – (8 tbsp)
I know that you know that you should be using full fat mayonnaise when you are limiting your carbs…but I just had to check.
Fat keeps low carb eaters full and happy.
- 1/2 cup sour cream– (8 tbsp)
Full fat sour cream makes this dip luscious and creamy.
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard *optional but delish
Mustard is not usually included in French Onion Dip but it gives it a little zip.
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
If you choose to use fresh garlic, just make sure it’s minced fine.
- 1 tbsp dried onions
Dried onions are what give this dip the “Onion Soup Mix” flavor. I have made this recipe with both fresh and dried onion over the years.
Both are good but I really prefer the dried onions because they soak up the sour cream and mayo and taste like the classic dip.
To each his/her own though. If you are using fresh onion, use 2-3 tablespoons and mince it finely.
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper *to taste
I never follow the amount for black pepper in any recipe…not even my own. I keep it reasonable and ask that everyone taste, taste, taste what they make.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt *to taste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
You can use any kind of vinegar that you have handy. Red wine and apple cider are my favorites.
- 1-2 tbsp Allulose * granulated and to taste
Does it sound weird to put sweetener in dip? It makes this Keto friendly dip taste fantastic, don’t skip it.
You can use your favorite low carb sweetener.
- chives for garnish
Fresh garnish always makes dips look inviting and taste super fresh (even if you made it ahead of time).
- fresh parsley for garnish
👩🏿🍳How to make the French Onion Dip:
- Put everything in a bowl and mix until combined. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Taste the dip before you chill it. Does it need more “twang”? Salt? Pepper?
This is the time to add anything you want to customize it to your tastes…before the flavors all blend and meld.
Flavor improves for 3-4 days covered in the fridge.
📋Tips & FAQ’s:
Can I make the Onion Dip ahead of time?
Yesssss! The longer you chill this onion dip, the more the flavor improves.
What other low carb snacks should I serve with the Keto friendly dip?
- Crisp Veggies – If you need help, check out the low carb shopping list.
- Chia Seed Crackers
- Zucchini Fries
- Fried Pickles
- Spicy Eggplant Chips
- Everything Bagel Crackers
- Salads – You can shake this dip in a jar with a bit of almond milk and turn it into an easy low carb dressing.
- Make a meat and cheese board and serve with this Mulled Wine
It’s fantastic on Cobb Salad (OMG).
That’s all for the Low Carb French Onion Dip!
I hope you love this recipe and that it makes eating low carb just a little bit easier.
That’s why we share recipes…we want everyone to feel like they can do this thing.
Leave a comment, question or knock knock joke below if you feel inclined.
Toodaloo for now….
Easy Naturally Low Carb French Onion Dip
- chives garnish
- fresh parsley garnish
- Put everything in a bowl and mix until combined. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Improves for 3-4 days covered in the fridge.
The nutritional information for the Low Carb French Onion Dip Recipe is provided as a courtesy.
We are pretty careful about our figures but if you ever feel like anything is off please feel free to do your own calculations.