This bacon cauliflower mash is full of flavor. If you think you hate cauliflower, try it anyway. It’s a healthy way get your potato fix. Potato Substitutes are an important part of the Keto Lifestyle and this side-dish is worthy of a place at your family dinner table….
🥘Ingredients for Keto Bacon Cauliflower Mash:
- 1 lb Cauliflower Florets~ frozen is easiest because it’s already cut.
Even if you are cutting your cauliflower from fresh, make sure you are using mostly florets because those are easier to blend.
Save the stems for another dish like baked cauliflower and cheese.
- 2 oz cream cheese
This needs to be soft. Heat it in the microwave if you need to.
Cook your bacon while you are getting all of the ingredients together to save time.
- Smoked Gouda Cheese shredded
You can use whatever cheese you like if Gouda isn’t your thing.
🔪How to Make Bacon Cauliflower Mash:
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe dish with a lid on high for 8 minutes, or until soft. Remove from microwave and take off the lid to let steam escape.
You want the cauliflower to dry out a bit and this is by far the easiest way that I’ve found to do that.
In fact, you can cook the cauliflower while your bacon is frying and you are getting all of the other ingredients ready.
- Transfer the cauliflower and all ingredients except bacon and cheese in a food processor or blender. I like this one because its all dishwasher safe. Pulse until it’s as smooth as you can get it.
If you need more liquid to get a smooth texture add some heavy cream or almond milk one tablespoon at a time.
It’s tempting to just “eyeball” it and pour some in but don’t. Remember that if you add to much…your cauliflower mash is going to be like soup.
It’s always easier to get it right the first time than to try and re-adjust….it never really works out the way we want it to.
- Transfer to an oven safe serving dish or six ramekins. Top with cheese and bacon. Broil for a couple of minutes to get a nice golden crust (watch it closely).
This last step is mostly for presentation but I do love the taste of crispy cheese and bacon.
You don’t need to if you don’t want to. The bacon and some fresh chives do well on their own….see?
👩🏽🍳 Pro tips:
- Using mostly florets makes for a creamier mash.
- Cook the cauliflower until it’s super soft. This is KEY.
- You can roast the cauliflower first for that “roasted” flavor but it may not come out quite as creamy. It will definitely need more liquid.
- Any of your regular mashed potato add in’s can be used but I didn’t love the texture that sour cream created. It made it gummy. Add it on top instead of mixing in.
- You can make this ahead and keep it refrigerated for 4-5 days.
- This dish doesn’t freeze well because of the cream cheese. If you plan to freeze it, skip the cream cheese and add it in before you serve it.
- You don’t need to bake the cheese on top if you don’t want to. It’s good both ways.
🥗Variations for Specific Diets:
- To make this recipe Vegan or Paleo:
Replace butter with olive oil and the cream cheese with vegan cream cheese.
Readers made these recipes after making the Keto Bacon Cauliflower Mash:
I think that’s it for the Keto Bacon Cauliflower Mash…
I know that there are a hundred memes about cauliflower mash being the devil. But, I promise that this is good as long as you aren’t expecting mashed potatoes.
In fact, my low carb/ Keto family actually prefers Keto Bacon Cauliflower mash over potatoes. But we were never huge potato fans to begin with. I hope you love it!
As always, let me know if you have any questions or awesome modifications in the comments below!
Cheers for now!
Baked Keto Bacon Cauliflower Mash Recipe
- 1 lb Cauliflower Florets frozen is easiest because it's already cut.
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 slices Bacon cooked crispy and chopped
- 3 oz Smoked Gouda Cheese shredded
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe dish with a lid on high for 8 minutes, or until soft. Remove from microwave and take off the lid to let steam escape. You want the cauliflower to dry out a bit. See the post for tips.
- Transfer the cauliflower and all ingredients except bacon and cheese in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth and salt and pepper to taste if you need to. Add almond milk or heavy cream one tbsp at a time if you need more moisture to get it smooth.
- The texture should be smooth. Transfer to an oven safe serving dish or six ramekins. Top with cheese and bacon. Broil for a couple of minutes to get a nice golden crust (watch it closely). See post for alternatives and tips for baked cauliflower mash (yum).
The nutritional information is provided as a courtesy. We are pretty careful about our figures but if you ever feel like anything is off please feel free to do your own calculations.