Welcome, friends! Today, we’re diving into the world of heart-healthy, keto-friendly cuisine with a dish that’s both comforting and delicious – chili. But this isn’t just any chili; it’s Shari Mac’s Best Keto Turkey Chili Recipe. For those following a ketogenic diet, the quest to find meals that are not only flavorful but also beneficial for heart health can be challenging. That’s where Shari Mac’s recipe comes in as a game-changer.
Shari Mac is a culinary wizard when it comes to creating recipes that cater to the keto lifestyle without compromising on flavor or heart health. Her website, Ketopaleosharimac.com, is a treasure trove of delectable dishes that align with these dietary requirements. As a keto recipe specialist, she understands the nuances of this lifestyle and translates them into recipes that make eating healthy a delight.
Now, let’s talk about the star of the show – the Best Keto Turkey Chili Recipe. This isn’t your average chili. It’s a hearty, flavor-packed dish that adheres to the keto guidelines while also being kind to your heart. What makes it stand out? Well, you’ll have to read on to discover. However, anticipate a unique twist that amplifies the flavors, a creative use of different ingredients, and a certain sweet secret component that takes this chili from great to exceptional.
What ingredients will you need?
Olive oil: Use cooking olive oil and save your EVOO for drizzling or salad dressings. Or fry
ground meat in water for less fat in resulting dish.
Ground Turkey: Substitute with ground chicken, ground pork, or ground beef.
Sweet onion: Substitute sweet onion with any onion of choice.
Garlic: Fresh garlic is always better for flavor.
Stevia: Substitute stevia with monk fruit sweetener or leave out altogether.
Chili powder: Remember that chili powder for chili con carni already contains other
ingredients like oregano, paprika, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and/or
The cheese for the garnish is also salty. So, you don’t need to add more salt to the
Ground cumin: This seasoning is optional. Not everyone likes cumin in their chili.
Smoked Paprika: While chili powder usually contains paprika, I like to add more of the smoked
version for additional flavor.
Freshly ground black pepper: Can substitute with pepper of choice.
Crushed tomatoes: Hunt for no salt added, no sugar-added versions.
Zucchini: Use green and yellow if possible
Red pepper: Can be substitute with another Keto friendly vegetable.
Yellow pepper: Can be substitute with another Keto friendly vegetable.
White mushrooms: Can be substituted with brown or wild mushrooms.
Cheese: Tex-Mex can be substituted with Cheddar, Mozzarella, Jack Cheese, Colby.
Sour cream: Full-fat sour cream has fewest carbs.
How do I prepare Keto Turkey Chili?
Preparing this chili is simple and fast.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the onion and garlic
and sweat until the garlic is aromatic.
- Add all seasonings. Stir the seasonings with the onion
and garlic until it’s well blended.
- Add the ground turkey, breaking up pieces, and mix the turkey
with the onion and seasonings.
- Fry the mixture until the turkey is evenly brown and the onion
- Add all the other additional ingredients. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes until the
veggies are just tender.
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Bring the
chili to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer on low for 30 to 45 minutes or until the chili
thickens and flavors combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Transfer the chili to bowls and
garnish each one with cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
How do I make Keto Turkey Chili in the Slow Cooker?
- It’s super easy to make this dish in a slow cooker or Instant Pot rather than on the stove top.
Brown the meat and sauté onion in a skillet.
- Transfer meat and onion and juices to a slow
cooker or the Instant Pot.
- Add all other seasonings and ingredients.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8
hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
How do I store Keto Turkey Chili?
- In the refrigerator: Place leftover chili in an airtight container, preferably glass, and without th
- toppings. Reheat in a microwave bowl or in a pot over the stove-top. Add to bowls and serve with your favorite toppings.
- In the freezer: Keto Turkey Chili actually tastes even better once frozen. Place in an freezer proof
glass container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To eat later, let thaw in the refrigerator over nights
and then reheat in a microwave bowl or in a pot over the stove-top. Add to bowls and serve
with favorite toppings.
What do I serve with my Keto Turkey Chili?
You can choose from a plethora of items to serve with your Keto Chili. Some of these include
Keto crackers; a toasted low-carb tortilla sliced into triangles, or
a slice of Keto Nut and Seed Bread, A quick Bun, or Keto Yeast Almond Bread.
Keto Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon stevia optional
- 3 tablespoons chili powder*
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon pink salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 cans 28 ounces ea. crushed tomatoes
- Additional Ingredients:
- 1 green zucchini chopped into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 yellow zucchini (yellow Summer Squash) chopped into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups chopped white mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded cheese garnish
- Sour cream garnish
- *Add more chili powder if you want the chili to pack that Tex-Mex punch.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic and sweat until garlic is
- aromatic. Add all seasonings. Stir until well blended.
- Add ground turkey, breaking up pieces, and mix with onion and seasonings. Fry until
- meat is evenly brown and onion is soft.
- Add additional ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes until veggies are just tender.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Mix all ingredients together. Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat,
- cover, and simmer on low for 30 to 45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors
- combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Transfer chili to bowls and garnish with cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
- Transfer leftover chili to a freezer bag and freeze for another day.