( Gluten Free & 4 Net Carbs Each)
Since our single Keto Two Minute Burger Bun has been so popular we thought you might like a bun that you can make for the whole family at once. I think these are the best Keto Burger Buns that I have tried in recent history.
You make this one in the oven and the prep time is only five minutes. Plus, it’s sturdy enough for your beefiest burgers and has a deep rich flavor because of the cheese.
These have the chewy “mouth feel” of regular bread.
When I first started the Keto Diet I had a hard time believing that burgers were on the menu!
I mean, that goes against everything we have ever learned about “dieting” right? That’s why we like to call “Keto” a lifestyle around here. “Diets” mean short term.
Sure, there are a few challenges, like finding a low carb bread sturdy enough to stand up to luscious burgers like this one. But it’s worth it because the perks are Ah-mazing!
And, you have a bunch of Keto Bloggers out there developing fantastic recipes left and right.
You can eat bread on Keto and most of the recipes are simple….
Homemade Keto & Gluten Free Bread blows store bought bread out of the water. Plus, it’s a lot less expensive to make your own.
The biggest bonus is that you will know what is in it.
You don’t need to spend all day in the kitchen either.
Here at the Castle in the Mountains, we eat, sleep and dream up recipes. We feel like the Keto lifestyle has made some real differences in how we live life and we are here to tell you that Keto doesn’t have to be hard.
Bread and desserts are my two favorite categories to work on so this recipe was a lot of fun.
I got a couple of questions about the Two Minute Keto Burger Bun and whether or not it would work in a traditional oven.
The answer is…absolutely not. You’ll end up with a dry as dirt doorstop.
Some people don’t want or don’t have a microwave so I decided to spend my afternoon developing this little delight.
Since Thom and Ada hit the slopes today, I had the kitchen to myself with only my best buddies and I trying out the results…
( They think eating treats helps).
Here they are waiting patiently next to the kitchen “gate” and hoping for some samples ~
They look like this often….and they love these Homemade Keto Dog Treats- your best friend might like them too.
I tried three different versions so we will be eating burgers, egg and chicken sandwiches for the next few days lol.
That’s okay because Thom says this recipe is the “breadiest” bun that he’s had that’s made with mozz cheese. I don’t know why it continually surprises me that mozzarella makes “bread”. But it does.
Just look at the tiny holes on the inside of the bun~Looks like regular bread to me, and it tastes like it too.
And, if you are wondering…nope, it doesn’t taste “cheesy or eggy”.
Best Keto Burger Buns Baking Tips:
- Make sure the cream cheese is warm enough to fully mix with the mozzarella.
We don’t do any of that melting the mozz business around here to make dough. It’s just too much extra work and doesn’t make a measurable difference in my humble opinion. It’s a cost/benefit thing.
But the cream cheese has to be warm enough to fully incorporate the mozzarella. Like this ~
- The cheese has quite a bit of salt in it so 1/2 teaspoon or less does the trick for me.
- Make sure that you don’t skip lining the baking sheet with parchment paper, and you will want to oil your hands. This dough is pretty sticky.
- Also, give them enough space to spread out.
The dough should “feel” like dough and not be too wet. But if you forget to oil your hands the dough is going to stick to them.
- Don’t forget to flatten the dough balls SLIGHTLY so they make the right shape.
- Nope, Coconut flour will not work with this recipe.
- Feel free to experiment with small amounts of psyllium husk powder or nutritional yeast to increase the fiber or flavor.
Just don’t add too much of either since it will mess with the moisture ratio.
- Wait for these to cool completely before slicing. (If you are slicing)
- I use one bun for the top and one for the bottom. ( I count this as 1 serving & it contains 4 NET Carbs)
- Toast them if you slice them for the best results.
They’ll hold up against all of the juicy toppings better.
- Do not over bake.
I feel like I need to say this in every recipe that contains almond flour. Nut flours don’t have to look burnt to taste burnt.
They should be a nice golden color like this ~
- I baked my buns for 17 minutes. But, I live at high altitude and anything I bake takes a couple of extra minutes. If you live below 3000 feet in altitude, the 15 minute bake time will probably be enough.
- Try to get all of the buns as close to the same size as possible for even baking and sandwich making results.
- I have not tried it but I bet these would make tasty low carb hot dog or sausage buns as well.
If you think about it, hot dog and hamburger buns always taste very similar. So why not?
Whenever I get around to trying that I will let you know. Or, if any of you get to this first, please leave a comment below. I would love to know how this turns out.
All in all, it was a great day and I am glad that I tried them. They’re excellent.
In general, Keto Breads made with a sort of “fathead” type recipe like this will keep well in a sealed bag or container in the fridge for several days. Try to keep as much air out as possible ( I use Ziploc bags for this kind of thing).
Generally they taste better the next day. I suppose it has something to do with the flavors having time to develop.
All of that being said…I know that in a Keto household people tend to gobble up bread as soon as it’s made. That’s okay, this one is easy enough that you can make another batch without too much trouble.
These are hard to resist ~
I baked my own bread for at least a decade before I went Keto and I can tell you from experience that this is much easier than waiting for hours to rise traditional bread.
Most Keto breads are quick breads but if you like that traditional rise than you should check out the Almond Yeast Bread.
It’s a longer project because you need to wait for it to rise but I have gotten some really great reviews for it from fellow sandwich lovers.
I hope you enjoy these and leave a comment below if you have a favorite version or add on!
This recipe makes enough for six buns but you can always adjust the servings by clicking on the blue number next to “Servings” to adjust the recipe size to suit your needs.
Quick Keto Burger Buns for Six Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray or rub some olive oil over it.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, warm cream cheese in 30 second increments until you can mix it up easily. (About 1 minute)
- Add Mozzarella and mix together.
- Add eggs and combine.
- In a separate small bowl mix almond flour, baking powder and salt with a fork until there are no lumps. Slowly add this to the cheese mixture and combine.
- Oil hands and divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll into a balls and flatten them into a bun shaped disk. Place on parchment covered baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with butter and sprinkle with poppy or toasted sesame seeds (Optional) . Bake until golden, 15-18 minutes.
- Use one bun for the top and one for the bottom of your burger. These hold up nicely because the almond flour isn't directly exposed to wet ingredients like condiments, tomatoes, etc.
Alternatively, you can roll into 6 balls and slice buns in half when cool and ready to use.
The nutritional information on this site is calculated using the USDA database. I take great care in providing the most accurate information possible.
But, if anything ever looks off on this site or ANY site for that matter, you should feel free to do your own calculations, and if you find something let us know.
Looking for dessert or drinks to go with dinner?
Check out these 9 cocktail recipes from Purewow.com that you can make before your dinner is done…
Cheers for now Keto People!
PS More info about Keto
Just Starting? Want to understand how Keto works? We have lots of great Keto info in this section about Keto Diet Tips.