Yes, you can have dessert on Keto!
And lemon poppy seed cookies are my new favorite Keto treats.
These are easy to make – if you have the five ingredients.
Even the Non-Keto members of the family will love these.
Here at the Castle in the Mountains we know how valuable your time is and how nice it is to have a treat – a really good treat – and that’s what we have here.
We know that Keto has great benefits.
Even if you’re a busy person, a ketogenic diet can make you thinner, healthier and more energetic.
At the Castle we know that you need to fit Keto into your life without depriving you of the deliciousness that makes eating so much fun.
On the Keto Diet you still can enjoy lots of good Keto desserts.
But first, you probably want to make some Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies.
Seriously only five ingredients, and you don’t need to do anything fancier than zest a lemon.
Next, you roll it up, wrap it in plastic or wax paper and put it in the freezer.
Recipe Tip: The Freezer is Very Important.
There are a few reasons you should put your roll of Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread dough in the freezer for at least 45 minutes.
First, the dough will stiffen up and be much easier to slice into the pretty little cookies and everyone will be so impressed with your skills.
Second, when you put the dough in the oven after it has been resting in the freezer, it will hold it’s shape better.
It won’t flatten out and become too thin and burn around the edges.
And third, the resting allows the ingredients to meld and bloom making for a more flavorful shortbread.
Recipe Tip: Perfectly slice your Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread
Of course you want all your slices to be the same thickness so that some of your cookies don’t burn while others don’t get cooked in the middle.
So here’s what ya do.
You measure the length of the length of the roll 9″ in this case, and you divide that by 24, and you get 3/8″ per slice and then you set a tape measure by the roll….I’m KIDDING.
For real, here’s a trick I saw in a sushi bar.
You cut the roll in half – 2 pieces.
Cut the halves in half – 4 pieces, and then those in half – 8 pieces.
Then cut each of those 8 pieces in thirds, and voila 24 perfect pieces.
Recipe Hack: Make dough & freeze it
It is best to freeze the dough all the way before slicing and baking.
Thing is, it doesn’t get more frozen after 45 minutes.
Two days, or two weeks later, still the same perfect frozenness and the neat part is that you don’t have to bake all of it.
You make your roll and put it in the freezer, and then say you want four nice fresh cookies for dessert this evening.
Just take the roll out of the freezer, slice off four pieces, and bake them in the oven that you have preheated to 350° F. – just like that roll of pre-made cookie dough you can get at the super market.
You could even make them in a toaster oven.
Make ahead while you have the time.
Imagine for a moment that you’re not going to have a mountains of available time to bake holiday cookies, but you really don’t want to be the one who brings packaged Pecan Sandies to the Christmas party…again.
You could make a bunch of this cookie dough roll it up and put it in the freezer until those wonder and stressed filled holidays roll around, then just slice them and pop them in the oven.
Then when the party attendees get a taste of Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread you can puff up and act like Martha Stewart and tell everyone how easy it was…because it was.
Speaking of Easy Keto Recipes…
There is a range of easy to date night & company worthy meal ideas to keep you on track with your weight loss goals.
Here are more Keto Cookies to love:
- Keto Almond Butter Cookies
- Low Carb Sugar Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Keto Cookies
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread
- Melt the butter. Either in a sauce pan or in the microwave. I nuked a stick of butter for 30 seconds.
- Add the butter to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Make the dough into a roll, it should be about 9" long X 1-1/2" in diameter, and wrap it in plastic wrap or wax paper. Put the roll in the freezer for about 45 minutes. The dough will firm up as it gets cold. You can even make these and just keep them in the freezer ( Pre-sliced) until you are ready to cook them. Do not let the roll completely freeze before slicing or they may be crumbly.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Slice the roll into 24 even slices (about 1/3" thick).
- Place the slices – evenly spaced – on a parchment covered or greased baking sheet.(I recommend parchment)
- Bake until they are starting to brown on the edges. Should be about 15 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes (like 30) before removing them from the baking sheet. (yeah I know I can never wait either, if you have to have one at least wait until it's cool enough so it won't burn your mouth)
The nutrition info is provided as a courtesy – we try to be as accurate as we can, but if it doesn’t look right feel free to do your own calculations. I promise we won’t be insulted.
Thanks & Keto On