Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
This Low-Carb In-N-Out Double-Double Copycat Cheeseburger Salad has all of the flavor of of In-N-Outs famous Double-Double without all of the carbs.
And, it only takes about 20 minutes to brown the hamburger, make the sauce and chop the salad ingredients...
So, not only is it delicious but it's the perfect answer for busy weeknights. Plus, you might even have some left over for lunch the next day.
Since you are reading an article on a Keto Diet website I am going to assume that you no longer frequent fast food joints.
But, if you have ever had a Double-Double I know you'll be nostalgic about the flavor. If you haven't, than imagine a Big Mac...only fresher tasting.
Being from Southern California, I grew up looking forward to the rare occasions that my parents would agree to In-N-Out for dinner.
It wasn't that they eschewed fast food...they just preferred other (closer to home) burger joints.
Let's get started....
- Make the sauce first.
It'll taste better if you allow the flavors to "meld" in the fridge while you make the rest of the meal.
- Brown your meat while you are chopping up the salad ingredients to save time.
I like to save time when it comes to making meals.
Yes, I spend my days writing about the food I cook but that doesn't mean that I like fussy recipes.
Especially now that it's getting warmer, I like quick meals that won't turn my kitchen into a sauna.
This recipe has minimal cooking involved with it so it definitely fits the bill.
Another big bonus with this recipe was that my picky tween had seconds...she never has seconds when it comes to salad.
She has also never had a Double-Double. Sure she has had "some" fast food. But not much.I'm okay with that.
- Use a crudites platter or small bowls to keep all of the ingredients separate.
Doing this allows everyone to make their own salad, the way they like it. And it keeps the lettuce from being soggy.
Plus, this dish will still be fresh enough for you to take to work for lunch the next day and you won't have to make the choice between eating ALL of it in one night or having to throw it away (I could never do this).
I hate throwing food out.
- Serve in big enough bowls that everyone can toss the salad with the sauce.
One of the keys to making this salad taste like your favorite cheeseburger is to coat the ingredients with the "secret" sauce.
- Watch out for sneaky carbs.
The original Double-Double Cheeseburger has onions on it. Not everyone likes onions but I thought I would mention the sneaky carbs here.
Onions have a lot of carbohydrates in them. Like, 14 grams per chopped cup (the number vary depending on onion type, but they are never low)...
So if you are on a strict Keto Diet, keep track of how much you're eating.
Also, the original In-N-Out Sauce contains Worcestershire Sauce. If you add one tablespoon to your sauce, the entire recipe will increase by 3.3 net carbs...or .55 per serving.
That's not a lot but I left it out and added the paprika to keep the carbohydrates lower...so I could "afford" to eat more of this salad.
It still tastes pretty damn close and it's up to you if you would like to add this ingredient.
We stopped buying it because it's too easy to add a lot to our grilled burgers & steak.
- The sweetener is KEY to making the dressing taste like fast food "sauce".
We recommend erythritol on this site because it has zero insulin response and doesn't have any funny aftertaste.
It's also not full of chemicals like some of the low-carb/no-carb sweeteners out there. If you want to read more about low carb sweeteners you can check out this post.
- It's easy to make this recipe into a "Cheeseburgerito"
I love the "cheeseburgerito" because it combines two of my favorite foods. Just build your salad on a low-carb wrap and you're ready to go.
Having a picky tween has made me realize that disguising a salad as a burrito is a fantastic trick to get her to eat raw, fresh foods.
Most low-carb tortillas from your local grocery store have between 5-7 carbs each so this is easy doable on Keto if you like your salads "wrapped" as well.
I think that's all I have to say about this rather easy meal. It's pretty simple to make and big on flavor...
Let me know if you have any questions or awesome suggestions in the comments below!
Low-Carb In-N-Out Double-Double Cheeseburger Copycat Salad
Double-Double Cheeseburger Salad
Low Carb In-N-Out Burger Sauce Copycat
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Pickle Spear about 2.5 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon mustard I like course ground but use whatever you like
- 2 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- a pinch of garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoon Erythritol *to taste
- A dash of Tabasco *OPTIONAL (if you like spice)
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper *to taste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 small head Iceberg Lettuce Usually about 6 cups
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes or Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup Finely shredded cheddar I like the "Mexican" blend but you can use what you like. American would give your the most authentic "Double-Double" taste.
- ½ cup Diced Dill Pickles *Optional
- ¼ cup Finely Sliced Sweet Onion *Optional (see post tips)
Sauce ( Dressing)
- Make the sauce first so that the flavors can blend.
- Put all of the sauce in your blender and blend until smooth. Store in the fridge until the rest of the meal is ready.
- Brown the hamburger with salt and pepper while you chop up the salad ingredients.
- Prepare all salad ingredients.
Chop the head of lettuce. Chop the tomatoes if using whole tomatoes. Slice the onion if using and dice the pickles. Shred the cheese if it isn't pre-shredded.
Keep all of these ingredients separate so everyone can choose their own toppings and the lettuce doesn't get soggy.
Put it all Together
- Make your salad and toss with dressing. *See tips in post for storing.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
The nutritional information on this site is provided as a courtesy. I try to be accurate but if anything ever looks “off” on this site or ANY site, please feel free to do your own calculations. I swear I won’t be offended…..