Before jumping to the recipe, don't miss the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post! I hope you'll find them useful and will love this fantastic recipe.
Spicy Keto Shrimp Scampi
(Gluten Free & 4 Net Carbs Per Serving)
People on the Keto Diet tend to be very resourceful and making noodles for our favorite dishes is no different. Making noddles from veggies is super easy and it doesn't take long.
I have always loved shrimp scampi...and linguini. But giving up the noodles isn't that hard for what I am getting in return on the Keto Diet. Besides this dish is delicious with or without the linguini.
Plus you can have dinner ready in under 30 minutes. This is so important on Mondays when I am ready for bed approximately forty-two minutes into my workday.
While we use zucchini or summer squash instead of linguini in this dish, we have also substituted spaghetti squash for the "zoodles" (zucchini noodles). I like them both but prefer the zoodles because they tend to be a bit drier and have a bit more of an al dente mouth feel. And, all three pair nicely with a crisp white wine.
I bought my zoodle maker at Family Dollar for under $10.00 and they are available online as well. I really thought about getting the Kitchen Aid attachment but I wasn't sure how often I would use it.
There are tons of fancy options that can make noodles out of any size vegetable but I would avoid spending a lot on one until you see how much you will actually use it.
I think I made the right decision because I only use mine about once a month and sometimes less. It makes two sizes, spaghetti and angel hair.
The Tween loves using it but if you have young children that are going to want to help you need to make sure you get one with some kind of safety guard because that sucker is SHARP. Ada has never cut herself on it but I have.
I also didn't want another big attachment to store. I guess I could store it next to my actual pasta maker attachment...you can guess how much that's getting used while I am on the Keto Diet. Maybe I'll have to come up with an actual Keto Pasta recipe soon.
- You can use zucchini, summer squash or a mixture of both. They are similar in texture so this shouldn't create any issues with the cooking time.
- Don't overcook the "noodles" or you will end up with mush.
- You can "drain" the water from the noodles by making the "Zoodles" and spreading them on a paper towel and salting them. Let the water leach from the zucchini noodles for half an hour and then rinse with cold water. DO NOT RINSE WITH WARM OR HOT WATER. The pores will open up and the salt will dissolve into them rendering them SUPER SALTY. (Go ahead and ask me how I know this).
- I skip this step because it didn't make enough difference for me to go through the extra step... I couldn't tell the difference so why do it? Check it out for yourself though and see which way you think is better.
- This one recipe deserves real Parmesan cheese. I like the powdered stuff in my marinara sauce but I love real grated or even shredded Parm on this dish. (It makes it look pretty if you are having company too).
- Red pepper flakes make this dish pop. Add them at the table so everyone can choose their amount of spice.
A word about seafood...
Be wary of eating too much fish on the Keto Diet. Farmed shrimp can be really dirty and full of antibiotics. The experts say that the regulations are getting tighter but it's a slow process.
Fresh shrimp and seafood has it's issues too. The oceans are increasingly polluted so we limit our seafood consumption around here...end of party pooper message.
Experimentation is vital when you're on the Keto Diet...
The zoodles in this recipe are awesome in any dish that traditionally uses pasta. The possibilities are endless. Zucchini goes really well with tomato and cream based sauces alike.
There are a million awesome low carb Keto recipes out there so getting bored should never be an excuse to quit...you can do it!
If you are looking for dessert, chocolate hits the spot after this dinner. Check out the super easy chocolate mug cake...
Finally, the delicious low carb Shrimp Scampi Recipe
Keto Spicy Shrimp Scampi
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes or more, to taste
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups 2 medium-sized zucchini, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Use a spiral cutter to cut 4 meduim zuccinni into zoodles and set them aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer; stir in zucchini noodles until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan and parsley, if desired.
Readers' Favorite Categories:
The nutritional information has been added as a courtesy. We use the UDSA database to calculate nutritional info but feel free to do your own calculations.
If you have any questions or comments about this recipe, I would love to hear from you!
Have you ever made "Keto Pasta" that resembles traditional pasta?